Laminate is an affordable flooring option for homeowners who prefer an alternative to carpet but want to avoid the cost of hardwood or tiles.
The floors consist of a particleboard wood base topped by wood or tile photo beneath a clear plastic protective layer. This flooring is very DIY-friendly, and laminate offers a multitude of texture and color options. The average cost for installed laminate flooring is $3 to $7 per square foot.
- Inexpensive compared to wood
- Easy to clean
- Many styles and colors available
- Susceptible to moisture damage
- Chips easily
- Does not look and feel like wood
- Has a hollow sound underfoot