Engineered wood flooring offers the look of real wood at a more affordable price than solid wood. The floor features a thin layer of hardwood bonded over a high-quality plywood substrate. It’s as durable as solid hardwood flooring and can last as long with proper care.
Engineered wood flooring is a good choice for DIYers to install, which will save you money on installation costs. The average cost for installed engineered wood flooring is $4 to $9 per square foot.
- Has real hardwood top layer
- Greater resistance to moisture and water than real wood
- Less likely to warp
- Multiple installation methods
- Can’t be refinished more than once
- Not fade-resistant
- Wide variation in quality
- Can sound hollow underfoot
- Emits VOCs